99% Perspiration and 1% Inspiration usually applies to genius but could apply to Evan's Big Journey.
It's not every week that we meet Prime Ministers or head to TV studios. Those are the 1% times but the other 99% is sheer hard work and perspiration - mostly on Ev's part. However, those other times do occur from time to time. Such was the case when we were asked recently if Ev would help out with the launch of the Yorkshire Young Achiever Awards. This would involve doing some TV and we had to negotiate with Ev who had declared, at the end of 2012, that he was now in retirement. We had to do a little bit of cajoling, and a bigger bit of bribing but we got him there. "There" being the ITV Calendar studios, along with presenter Duncan Wood (we also met an old friend - Tina Gelder who came to London with us), Peter McCormick from YYAA, Doroteo Ronda Perez and Dr Kate Granger. Doroteo was a recipient of a grant from the charity which does so much, is celebrating it's 21st year, and has raised nearly £1 million pounds in that time. Kate is a truly inspirational person, and I wouldn't be able to put in words here what she has achieved in very difficult circumstances. However, I would suggest that you spend a few minutes reading her blog - (http://drkategranger.wordpress.com/).
In the last couple of years we've been lucky that we have met some really interesting people - some higher profile than others, but many have touched our lives in different ways. We might switch on the TV and see a familiar face, but equally we might see someone on the school run who played a massive part in what has gone on in the last couple of years, but it was a real pleasure to be able to spend a few minutes in Kate's company. Totally different situation but some parallels - simply trying to get on with what challenges are there and a truly humble and, yes, inspirational person. We wish her all the best on her own journey.
As per usual, Ev was a star in front of the camera (as opposed to his bumbling, mumbling Dad but Duncan did a good job in the editing suite !). The results can be seen here (www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2013-07-04/happy-birthday-yorkshire-young-achievers/)
...and so we headed home, Ev back in retirement (so he says - for now...) another step on the journey but a day filled more with inspiration than perspiration.