Friday, 4 March 2011

A different kind of normal - Friday 4th March

It's been a week since we got back - in some respects a normal week, but in other respects a very different week.

In the last post I talked about our "first steps" back in England - and they were actually captured on camera....

I think we have done pretty well in avoiding jetlag - although Ev did sleep from 6pm Fri to midday on Sat - and only once was I wide awake at 2am in the morning (Monday). On Saturday we had a number of visitors to see Ev and on Sunday Ev's teacher, Mrs Oswald, came to see him. Then, as usually happens, it was Monday morning. No avoiding it. We were able to take Ev into school early and get him sorted out, which helped a little bit - as nice as it would have been to see people, it might have been a bit much for him. Although, perhaps not. Every challenge that we have thrown at him, has been batted back over our heads (maybe not the best week to use a cricket analogy...). In the end, he has done a full week (we thought he might need to be phased back in) without seeming too tired and everyone at school is really pleased with him.

On Monday we also met with Ev's PTs; Emily and Steve. They were both really impressed with his progress and we know he is in good hands for this next part of the journey.

As for Ev - he is still extending his "record bests" - when we came back from St Louis he could stand, balanced and unaided, for about 2 - 3 seconds. Which was better than the 0.01 seconds he could do before the op. He needs to do this, as it's a building block to being able to walk, and he can now do 90 seconds - yes, NINETY seconds. You can see him moving and wiggling, adjusting his hips and upper body to remain standing and always, always with a big grin on his face.

Other than that we have both been settling back in - although we both miss STL a little bit. It's definitely a case of mixed feelings - we are SO glad to be back home, but you kind of get used to the routine and the safety and we had this "guys on tour" thing going - which I suspect was actually probably more like Morecambe & Wise (sharing a double bed in our PJs) than Jagger & Richards. As much as it was difficult to be separated from Loup, Maya and Sam, it was an opportunity that most people wont get - so much one-to-one time with a child, free from having to do the housework and going to work or school. We had fun.

So, back to normal, but not quite. It's a different kind of normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment